Tuesday, September 12

KDE - Not that krap after all

Ok, I've been quite "anti KDE" the last few years, with good reason imo. The last time I tried KDE must have been around 2001 or 20002 and back then it wasn't that good.
Now the other week my beloved OpenSolaris powered laptops hard drive failed on me. After I spend about a week moaning about it I finally got around to buying a new drive for it. Replace the old 30gb 4200rpm with a snappy 80gb 5400rpm drive (yes, the speed difference is really significant). Since I didn't have a recent Nevada build ready and was to lazy to download one I decided to install Kubuntu instead, got a free CD at an event the other day. Simple install as always with Ubuntu. Even the widescreen res on my laptop worked out of the box. Easy setup, did the usuall apt-get install oracle-xe, install postgres.
Then I realized I really lliked using KDE, things where so much easier than GNOME. KDE has probably got less features, but it just works. The integration between the applications is great, the little IM client Kopete is much nicer than gaim. KDE seems to use less memory than GNOME as well. Oh well, I saved disk space for Solaris and will probably install that as soon as I get around to downloading a recent version. Nevada B48 should be out any day now.

No comments: