Tuesday, January 1

Solaris Express on a Toshiba Satellite Pro A200

I bought myself one of those cheap laptops the other month. I needed a small machine for testing and since laptops are just as cheap (if not cheaper) as desktops these days I got a laptop.
The machine came with Vista but I wanted to triple boot Vista, Ubuntu and Solaris Express Community Edition.

  • Use diskmgmt.msc in Vista to shrink the partition the machine came with, Windows can do this natively so there is no need to use Partition Magic or similar tools. Create at least three new partitions. One for Solaris, one for Linux and one for Linux swap.
  • Secondly install Solaris, boot off the CD and go through the basic installer. The widescreen resolution worked out of the box (as usual). Do a full install, spending time "fixing" a smaller installer is just annoying. Solaris will install it's grub boot loader on both the MBR and superblock (on the Solaris partition). It probably makes sense to leave a large slice unused so it can be used with ZFS after the installation is done.
  • Install Ubuntu. Nothing simpler than that.
  • Edit Ubuntu's grub menu config (/boot/grub/menu.lst) to include Solaris. Simply point it to the Solaris parition (hd0,2 for me). Add these lines at the end of the file.
    title Solaris
    root (hd0,2)
    chainloader
Done!

I had to install the gani NIC driver in Solaris to get the Ethernet card working and the Open Sound System sound card driver to get sound working.
The Atheros WiFi card is supposed to be supported but I couldn't get it to work, even after adding the pci device alias to the driver. I'll post an update if I get it to work.

12 comments:

Roman said...

Hi!
Did you get wifi working?
What is your overall impression?
I am choosing notebook for Solaris.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I have a Linux guide for the Toshiba Satellite Pro A200 which is available at:
http://www.linlap.com/wiki/Toshiba+Satellite+Pro+A200

Stefan said...

Good Job! :)

Admin said...

Great job. I also got a Toshiba Satellite L505-GS5037 laptop lately.

Zino said...

yes wifi is working
alcohol treatment centers

admin said...

After reading this posting, I contemplated the exact same level that I invariably marvel about when scanning new blogs and forums. Simply what do I think about this? Precisely how should it impact me? This and additional posts in your weblog right here definitely give some stuff to look at. I essentially ended up right here via Yahoo after I was very first doing some web examine for some course carry out that I have. All the time superb times browsing by means of and I’m hopeful that you'll carry on writing new posts. Cheers!

blemish treatment

admin said...

Hello admin – That is surely the wonderful looking for weblog I've seen. It had been totally simple to grasp and it had been simple to look with the information which i wanted. Wonderful net design and useful content materials!


acid reflux cure

highheels said...

Christian Louboutin
As a way to design and style remarkably one of a kind and effective Christian Louboutin Petal Sandals; they consider benefit of your very last equipment and technologies in order that you’ll be fully capable of get the brightest and designer sandal designs from them in way. Seems wise, the Christian Louboutin Petal Sandals are extremely inimitable and flexible shoes in an attempt to seize your attentions directly. On the subject of the colours, the monumental fascination is that they use superlative colors for making fancy your Christian Louboutin Petal Sandals.

helomario said...

did it work well? thanks

Sightline Payments Kirk SanfordBingo

helomario said...

I know exactly how you feel :-) In early March someone gave me a yellow pepper plant, and I planted it, and watered it, and watched it closely as it grew and grew and grew...although no peppers.


pokerwinning lottery numbers

stupidbear said...

i truthfully enjoy your own writing kind, very remarkable,
don’t give up as well as keep writing due to the fact that it simply just worth to follow it.
looking forward to see a whole lot more of your current well written articles, enjoy your day


Online Betting Guidesalvia legal

Joseph said...

It is very helpful, thanks for sharing this info.
best pharmacy