Friday, February 3

OpenBSD on the shoe box

Got bored the other day after work and decided to try out the latest release of OpenBSD on my old VIA C3 based ITX shoe box sized PC. PXE booted the install from my Solaris box. I must admit I do love the OpenBSD install process, very plain and simple shell script to do the obvious things. Partition/slice the disk, set root password etc. In one way I also like anaconda (the centos/fedora/etc installer) but compared to the simple process in OpenBSD anaconda tends to feel very bloated.
The obsd install process has been the same for as long as I can remember, nothing new added simply because nothing needs to be added. The default install without X is about 400Megs, isn't that cool. However to get a useful system you do need a handful more packages like a better ftp client, screen, some dev tools like autoconf/automake/bison and if you're not that comfortable with ksh you probably want to add bash. I stayed with ksh just for the heck of it :-)
After first bootup the system has about 15 processes running. Compare that to Solaris or CentOS, perhaps in way that is like comparing apples and pears. But I like it. Userland just feels right in some way, the obsd team has really managed to optimize things to the best without adding to much "bloat".
Although the obsd FAQ suggests against I of course recompiled the kernel (just so I could have my own "tag" when hitting 'uname -a' instead of the boring "GENERIC".
OpenBSD elmer.local. 3.8 ELMER#0 i386

Now I just need to drop by PC-World tomorrow to buy a quieter fan so I can stick the box under my desk and leave it on all the time as a torrent-slave or something.

Oh btw, the reason I finally was able to hook up the ITX box was because I bought a small ADSL router (Linksys WAG54GS, Linux based none the less) the other day. Didn't have a switch in the UK, probably have 5 of them stashed in storage in Sweden :/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to install OpenBSD. thanks are guided on how to install.