Sunday, December 3

Laptops - 3 years ago and today

So I figured it was time to get a new laptop, my old trustworthy Dell Inspiron 8600 has done a great job but it's starting to show it's age, it's actually 3 years old on the day next week (Yes, remembering the exact date you bought your last laptop is weird, I know). My 8600 had a few scratches and marks but it still looks pretty ok. Performance wise it's not to bad, I've been running Open Solaris for the last 18 months and it's been working great, felt fast and snappy. But when it comes to heavy multi tasking, Solaris container and VMWare it's not really keeping up with times.
After browsing the laptop market it was quite clear that getting a Core2 machine was the best option if I wanted performance. I was very tempted to get a cool Acer Ferrari 4006, the price is pretty great now when the 5000-series is just around the corner, but the AMD ML-40 benchmarks put me off, the Core2 totally trash it. Since my old Dell has been working great I went and got a new Dell to replace it. Although I was looking for a smaller machine this time I actually went for pretty much the exact replacement for the 8600, the new Dell Inspiron 6400. Funny thing, the price of the new machine turned out to be pretty much exactly the same as I payed for my old machine.

Dell Inspiron 6400Dell Inspiron 8600
CPUIntel Core2 Duo 2.0GhzIntel Pentium M 1.4GHz
Memory2048Mb768Mb
Disk120Gb 5400rpm30Gb 5400rpm
GraphicsATI X1400 128MBNvidia Geforce 5250Go
Network54Mbit wifi + 100Mbit wired11Mbit Wifi + 100Mbit wired
OpticalDVD+RWDVD/CD+RW
Pointing deviceTouchpadTouchpad / poiting stick
Screen1680x1050 high gloss1680x1050
Weight2.8 kg3.1 kg
SizeA bit smallerQuite big
VMWare speedFastSlow



It's quite nice to be able to boot up a CentOS 4.4 running 10gR2 and still have great performance. Both in the VM and in the host OS.
The one thing I don't like is that the 6400 don't have the pointing stick thingy, just the touch pad. But I'm getting used to it.












2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice

Anonymous said...

pretty cool laptops, but there are better laptops now of course, I recall when I was working at India Pharmacy, they had some Indian laptops that were so faster and powerful than the ones in America, I could not believe it!