Sunday, October 29

Running Oracle Unbreakable Linux under VMWare

I finally got around to do a proper install of Unbreakable Linux today.
Pretty much as expect, it's pretty much identical to CentOS. It's got yum and all that.

Took the opertunity to try the new free version of VMWare GSX Server, or at least what used to be known as GSX. They just call it VMWare server now.
The VMware tgz install on my 64-bit Ubuntu 6.10 was quite smooth. You still have to enter a serial, easily obtained from filling out a simple form on the vmware website. The installation of vmware-authd failed though. Since Ubuntu's xinetd doesn't read /etc/inetd.conf I had to create an entry in /etc/xinet.d/.
hlinden@htpc:~$ cat /etc/xinetd.d/vmware
service vmware
{
disable = no
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
user = root
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/vmware-authd
port = 902
}
Speed wise VMWare server is great, I only allocated 384Mb RAM to the VM and it still feels quite snappy and fast. I've only tried running two VM's at the same time so far. But my first impressions are simply, great stuff! The VM creation wizard thingy even had Solaris x86 in the list, haven't tried it yet but I sure will.

Took a few screenshots during the Unbreakable Linux installation.


No comments: