Sunday, October 16

apt-get install ubuntu

So I finaly got around to buying a new computer. Built a simple AMD64 box (Nope, did not go dual core) with parts bought from my Scandinavian friends over at Komplett.
With a new machine I of course needed an OS and since Ubuntu has gotten so much press lately I sort of felt it was my duty to test it.
Ok, I have to admit, I was quite hesitant of using a Debian distro after being forcefed RPM's for the last 5 years and Solaris 10 DVD's for the last year.

However, I was quickly proven wrong :)
Install was a breeze and the default system looked quite alright.
After first reboot X failed to start due to that the installer hadn't found my ATI x800 graphics card (PCI-e) but the driver was just an apt-get away. Downloaded and ran fglrxconfig to configure my settings (damn thing did not add the Zaxis-mapping to make the scroll-wheel work tho).
No more problems after that, I added a few more apt repos and installed some more basic software.
All in all good but I must say I felt a bit confused with the file structure of the PostgreSQL 8 install with files all over the place. I'm used to compiling it myself to a dedicated dir, most often /u01/postgres with the datadir under /u02/pgdata. No a big issue anyway.

If I feel motivated enough I will install Solaris 10 on the box as well. Need somewhere to run Oracle. Perhaps VMWare is the solution?

Oh, and I forgot to write that I bought a new monitor a month back, an Iiyama Prolite E481S (8ms response and 700:1 contrast). The picture quality is truly amazing. Almost comparable to a good CRT. It really came to good when hooked up to the new ATI card.

Le desktop de Ubuntu :-)
Desktop

Ciao!

PS. Finally got my Bulldog DSL install date. Tuesday 18th this week. *Yeay*

1 comment:

highheels said...

Christian Louboutin
As a way to design and style remarkably one of a kind and effective Christian Louboutin Petal Sandals; they consider benefit of your very last equipment and technologies in order that you’ll be fully capable of get the brightest and designer sandal designs from them in way. Seems wise, the Christian Louboutin Petal Sandals are extremely inimitable and flexible shoes in an attempt to seize your attentions directly. On the subject of the colours, the monumental fascination is that they use superlative colors for making fancy your Christian Louboutin Petal Sandals.